Pangaea Island
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Repairs [Open to everyone]

Go down

Repairs [Open to everyone] Empty Repairs [Open to everyone]

Post  Guest Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:00 pm

Ludwig had realized very quickly into his working life that there were days when business was just slow and when he himself didn't have the drive to mess with one of his new projects. And on those days, jobs and chores finished themselves almost too soon, despite the high standards that Ludwig held himself to. Unwilling as he was to close up shop for anything less than a truly legitimate reason (like a major natural disaster), Ludwig struggled to find ways to pass the time, his eyes always on the wooden gate at the front of his property just in case a customer arrived.

The gate had given him an idea for his first time-killing project, and he'd made a chain of small metal bells: after linking them to a chain, he'd affixed one end to the gate and another to a post in the yard. Now, whenever someone opened the gate, all close-by ears were treated to a pleasant jingling. Subsequently, when he had free time, Ludwig had thoroughly cleaned his shop and, following that, his own house, attached behind and on top of the large workspace. Of course, Ludwig being a naturally tidy person, these projects had lasted a depressingly short period of time. For a while, he'd turned to making weather vanes and fireplace tools, and a large collection of them remained in the storage room, unsold.

But today was different from those usual dull, quiet days. Not in that it had been especially quiet, but in that Ludwig finally had a legitimate chore to kill time with. The wooden shingles on the roof of his shop had worn down to a point where the roof leaked irritatingly with each rain, and so as soon as he'd finished up his work downstairs, Ludwig had ventured outside with a toolbox and a pile of freshly cut and cured wood. The day was sunny, but a cool breeze had been blowing since late morning, and now, high up on the roof, Ludwig felt grateful for that small relief.

Prying another piece of dry wood from the roof with a screech of old nails, Ludwig tossed the shingle onto the rapidly-growing pile on the lawn. After fixing a new piece of tar paper to the spot, he held a fresh shingle there as he hammered it in place. A few minutes later, he sat back, and pulling his cap from his head for just a moment, wiped some of sweat from his forehead. This wasn't easy work at all, but he'd already gotten so much done - and as Ludwig fixed his eyes on the street running past his front gate, he had a feeling he'd probably be able to finish this whole section of the roof. The district was absolutely dead today...

Back to top Go down

Repairs [Open to everyone] Empty Re: Repairs [Open to everyone]

Post  Matthew Williams Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:56 pm

A certain noble had found himself in need of the assistance of someone rather like Ludwig. And since Matthew preferred to by the word he heard about those who did the best work, rather than sticking to the most likely places that someone such as himself would seek aid, he had heard of the man and his shop, along with a rather good reputation. Sure it was a bit further than someone would go or send a servant, but Matthew liked the sound of it and he had decided to not trust the particular project at hand to anyone else.

Despite trying to not appear sentimental or too attached to the past, he had put it off for a few days when the item in question had been brought to his attention. But... He really had been sad to learn the large grandfather clock that had stood in his mother's sitting room had stopped working. He had been meaning to move it to a place that he could see it more regularly, as she had really loved it's chimes, but he had been distracted often enough by getting business organized in the markets for those he helped out.

It was a curly maple wood, with a light finish. A delicately detailed face, and a panel painted with a scene of the gods and goddess that the woman had worshiped were all still lovely, without more than a trace of dust (It had picked up some in the cart on the road, despite the sheet he had put over it. The visible hardware appeared to be silver, it was a lovely piece really. And Matthew certainly hoped the man could help him...

He pulled the small cloudy grey mare that was hitched to the cart he directed to a halt in front of the shop and looked around quietly, vaguely wondering if anyone was about and how much trouble he might have getting attention to even request the repairs. Vaguely, he thought he could hear someone working on something near by...

((Hope you don't mind my barging in 8D))
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:22 am

((But of course not! Thank you for joining, and sorry it took me so long to reply!))

The sun continued to beat down mercilessly on the roof, but Ludwig hadn't let that dissuade him from his work. Already he'd made it past the halfway point, and while thoroughness held more importance than simply finishing the task, he believed that dinner tonight would taste extra rewarding if he managed to get the entire roof re-shingled. Maybe he would even make a cake if the sun hadn't sapped all of his energy by the evening. Tossing yet another old shingle aside, he finished nailing its replacement to the frame of the house before an unexpected noise - the hollow rattle of cart wheels - drew his attention. Ludwig set his tools aside and turned a searching gaze to the road.

Someone had stopped beside his front gate, and as Ludwig squinted into the light, he made out a man with golden-blond hair holding the reins. The man appeared to be somewhat lost: he glanced around the neighborhood for several moments without saying a word, although Ludwig noticed that more than a few times, his focus turned to the sign of his own shop. Setting aside the remaining shingles, he climbed down the ladder leaned against the edge of the roof, dusting splinters from his heavy leather gloves as he walked up the path towards the gate. The tall blond still couldn't make out what the man had brought with him in his cart, though the object was distinctly narrow and graceful.

As he drew closer, Ludwig thought for a moment that he recognized the man's face. It wasn't too unexpected: the island was small enough that it was hard not to pass the same person at least once or twice a year. Despite his best efforts, however, he failed to attach a name to the shy-looking fellow, and shrugging off the concerns that came with that (and an echo of his brother's voice in his head advising "you should get out more"), Ludwig raised a hand in greeting, his face calm but unsmiling.

"Hallo," he called out, coming to a halt just before the gate and resting his hands on the top. "Is there anything you need help with? You look lost." Ludwig had been told before that he needed to work on his customer service, but this man didn't seem like the type to take offense to frankness. He had obviously been waiting for help, as he hadn't made his own efforts to seek it out, and while Ludwig was content with taking a small break from his repairs in order to offer it, the help would certainly be on his own terms.

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Williams Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:56 am

Matthew had been a little surprised that anyone would approach him, then shook the thought off since he had come here with a purpose after all, and it wasn't like he was invisible (REALLY!), so it wasn't like it was a crazy idea. "A-ah hello there!" He smiled politely and looked the other man over curiously, thinking this might be just who he was looking for. If he had heard correctly of course, and the chances of him having missed something were quite slim when listening and being ignored around town. He really was quite good at it by this point in his life...

So he was reasonably certain enough that this was the owner of the shop, or at least he fit the description that he had heard, and with those thoughts Matthew nodded a little as Ludwig took a moment to question. "Yes, actually... I have something here I was hoping I could get repaired. I've heard a lot of good things about the place too, so I thought I'd stop by and see if they would be willing to take a look." Of course he wasn't going to just out and ask Ludwig to fix it, since he still hadn't had any sign that he was right in his guess that this was the shop's owner. But he couldn't help but be a little hopeful, he had hoped he was getting better and finding his way around this area of the city by this time.

Now that he thought about if of course, the man didn't even know who he was. It might help to verify the other man's identity if he actually made a point to introduce himself! "I'm Matthew Williams, by the way. Sorry to have seemed rude for not saying before hand, I guess I'm a little distracted, eh." He nodded a little and held out a hand in a polite introduction. "I'm not even sure if I'm in the right place, I only had word of mouth to go by. So if I'm in the wrong place I'll move on, of course!" That was the thing about word of mouth, it wasn't always correct he supposed, and Ludwig appeared to have just come from working on something, and if he was busy with that it wouldn't be right to keep him from it.

He glanced at the wagon, and the large sheet covered cloth in it, the noble wasn't even sure if this was the sort of job that the shop owner would be willing to take on. But again, he had heard Ludwig was the one of the best people to go to if you needed something fixed, and a reputation like that was nothing to be ignored. Or so Matthew had decided anyways... And, he'd rather give his business to people who might need it, over those that were closer or more convenient to him where he lived.

((I'm sorry it took me so long to respond myself, so think nothing of it XD;;... It's the first morning I've been off in a few days OTL... And I'm rather braindead right now ;A; so I'm sorry if this isn't quite what it should be!))
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:14 pm

As the stranger looked him over, Ludwig waited patiently, ready to jump on any potential business prospects (the man had stopped in front of his shop, after all). The other man didn't seem to mind the frankness with which Ludwig had greeted him, but his own words seemed purposefully vague; Ludwig wouldn't have taken offense to being mistaken for a worker somewhere else, but the stranger carefully avoided pinning any title on him at all. It struck Ludwig as a little odd, but whatever. This man was a customer, and he needed the patronage. Plus, his arms had gotten sunburned from working on the roof and he wanted to be inside for a while.

"I'm Ludwig Beilschmidt. Pleased to meet you," he returned, accepting the offered hand and shaking it. "As for whether or not you're in the right place..." After letting go of Matthew's hand, Ludwig folded his arms across his chest. "That depends on where you wanted to end up, but this is my shop here, and I can fix almost anything." He echoed Matthew's glance towards the large sheet-covered object in the cart, and curiosity tugged at him. His brother had often goaded him about being more assertive... well, this would surely show Matthew that he knew what he was doing.

Slipping out from the yard with a jingle of bells from the gate, Ludwig gestured to the mystery object and asked, "May I?" Then, without waiting for a conclusive answer, he approached the cart and, after giving the cloth a cursory shake to dislodge the dust, he pulled a corner out of the way. Underneath the fabric rested a grandfather clock, a beautiful piece of craftsmanship in more than one degree. Ludwig only chanced touching the woodwork, what seemed like the least delicate part of the clock, but he caught in his mind's eye the great care and precision that had gone into the carving of the whorls and scrolls that ornamented the device; a much clearer picture soon took over that, one of a worried Matthew examining the unmoving hands. Giving an appreciative "Hmm," Ludwig stepped back and replaced the cloth gently.

"It's a lovely clock," he observed, turning back to Matthew. "But it's stopped working, right?" That was a reasonable enough assumption to make even without the use of his gift: Matthew had brought the clock to a mechanic's shop. "I can fix it," Ludwig nodded assuredly, "without damaging the wood or the painting, although if some of the mechanical parts are too old, I might have to replace them. How does that sound to you?" Folding his arms again, he waited patiently for Matthew's answer, hoping that his pitch had been good enough. Recalling what the other had said earlier, Ludwig couldn't help but feel a little proud; his reputation was obviously getting around, even without much advertising. He'd have to doubly thank Matthew if he did get the job.

((Don't worry about it! I thought it was a nice post! I apologize for my delayed reply as well - I caught the flu and was in bed sleeping it off for the whole week))

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down