Pangaea Island
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(Complete) Guard Duty, ugh... [Gilbert+Matthew]

Go down

(Complete) Guard Duty, ugh... [Gilbert+Matthew] Empty (Complete) Guard Duty, ugh... [Gilbert+Matthew]

Post  Guest Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:03 pm

One of the disadvantages of being a soldier in Pangaea was that there wasn't very much to do. Sure, sometimes there were nasty scuffles and people had to be called in to put an end to the fighting. Oh, and sometimes there were missing people and the soldiers were in charge of organizing a search party! That was all well and good, but most of the time, the soldiers of Pangaea tended to find themselves on guard duty, mediating who and what came in and out of the different Quarters of the city.

And that... was boring.

It was actually Gilbert's least favorite part of the job, and a big part of the reason that he had deviated from his once-honorable path. He would just stand there for half of a day, sweating or freezing in his armor - depending on the season, of course - and watch people go about their every day lives.

Tedious.

And Gilbert hated tedium above most things. He tried to find ways to pass the time, but usually it didn't end up so well. His superiors didn't really like it when he drank on the job (though he did anyway) and frowned upon him making fun of the people he was supposed to be protecting. So this left Gilbert very... VERY bored.

There were one or two people who crossed the border between the Northeastern and Northwestern Quarters daily that were at least entertaining to watch. And even some people who would have interesting conversations with him for a short while. But they hardly alleviated the boredom for very long.

Speaking of those people! Just at that moment, one of those very people walked through the gates and Gilbert grinned as wide as he could, taking his helmet off to bestow the full effect of the smile. "Hey, awkward-man, how's it going?"

Let the fun begin.

Back to top Go down

(Complete) Guard Duty, ugh... [Gilbert+Matthew] Empty Re: (Complete) Guard Duty, ugh... [Gilbert+Matthew]

Post  Matthew Williams Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:22 pm

Matthew had been staying at his home in the Northeastern Quarter for the past few days, while sorting a few things out paper wise with his little business among the merchants, leaving someone else to watch over the wares and goods he helped sell. Someone had to do the paper work, after all, and as boring as it was he found himself occasionally enjoying the nice quiet relaxing task. He usually preferred doing it right there in the Northwestern Quarter between dividing the earnings up and selling things, but he did have to make appearances still, and it was his home... So there was good and bad in everything, he supposed.

He was quite happy though to be on his way back to the busy streets. Yes he got bumped into every now and then, but he had gotten reasonably good at walking around and side-stepping oncoming traffic. It was days like this that he got to hear some of the more interesting stories and rumors. Women gossiping as they hung out laundry, or lads speaking of things they'd heard from their elders and thought nothing of speaking about in their 'out door' voices while out doors.

However..

He was just passing through the gates, making a mental note to stop at a meat shop to get something special for Kumajiro when he heard a rather annoying yet not entirely upsetting voice break through his thoughts and caused him to stop (Stumbling slightly) as he walked by. "A-ah good day, Gilbert!"

He caught himself and straightened, trying to avoid looking as awkward as Gilbert enjoyed making him out to be. Surely I introduced myself when we met, and while I don't expect random people to know my name he could come up with something better than 'Awkward Man' by now... He thought with slight embarrassment.

Last edited by Matthew Williams on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
Admin

Back to top Go down

(Complete) Guard Duty, ugh... [Gilbert+Matthew] Empty Re: (Complete) Guard Duty, ugh... [Gilbert+Matthew]

Post  Guest Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:52 pm

Gilbert's grin swiftly turned into a smug smirk at the man's reply. Every day was pretty much the same with this guy, and even though it added to the tedium, Gilbert couldn't help but love it. Making "awkward-man" fluster was one of his favorite things to do to pass the time when he was bored out of his skull. Sauntering over, Gilbert clapped the man on the back, none-too-gently, but not hard enough to knock the poor thing over.

"Awkward as usual, I see," he commented with a grin. Gott, Matthew was even looking more awkward with just the commenting on his awkwardness. "Where you off to? An awkward get-together with some other awkward people?" Alright, so maybe Gilbert was being mean at this point, but he wouldn't pick on Matthew if he didn't think the man could take. Well, maybe he would still pick on him, but that was beside the point!

Leaning in conspiratorially, Gilbert whispered to the man. "Between you and me, I've been around this city for a long time... and I don't think there's anyone as awkward as you." He straightened and looked pleased with himself. "So good job to you!"

... okay, he was having too much fun with this.

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Williams Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:13 pm

Matthew let out a slightly surprised gasp as Gilbert clapped him on the back and startled him into another unprepared stumble. Really he should be a little more on the ball than this... But he wasn't used to people intentionally doing things like that, he was more used to people bumping into him without seeing him there. And yes, some how, that was different! "Maple..." He uttered under his breath and straightened again, straightening the sleeve of his shirt.

The blond really couldn't decide if he liked speaking to Gilbert (It usually was nice to have someone to speak to for a little while that recognized him on some level) or if he dreaded coming across the man because of his unending taunting. It wasn't like he tried to be awkward, in fact he continually tried to NOT be awkward. "Well you seem to have answered the question before I even have a chance, eh..." He mumbled quietly, resettling his glasses and trying to raise his voice without losing his ability to speak without sounding like an AWKWARD person.

Well, he supposed it saved him from explaining that he was on his way to the markets to work, and thus saved some harassment there when he was trying to do things.

And there the albino went again, practically antagonizing him into speaking... "I'm not that a-awkward!" He flustered again, practically fluffing up indignantly in that silly confused manner as he had a tendency to. Of course, it helped that he wasn't completely enraged at these encounters, and he had some sort of patience level that kept him from getting any more than ruffled, as he was now. "I-I'm sure you've really scoured the city, wasting time, looking for someone more awkward..." He shook his head a little, edging away slightly in hopes of Gilbert getting distracted by something like other people did and allowing him to slip away.
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:19 pm

Watching Matthew was quite an entertainment in and of itself. Sometimes, Gilbert had seen the young man just walking down streets, getting bumped into and shoved around and acting like this was just a normal, everyday occurence. It bothered him on some level, but on others, he found it all the more amusing because Matthew seemed to have just decided that this was simply his lot in life - to be trampled. As the young man spoke up, Gilbert couldn't help grinning wider and wider with each passing moment.

"It's not a waste of time," he commented firmly, trying to get the point across that he actually, really meant this. "Because if I found someone even near as awkward as you are, I could have you meet the guy and then you two could have a battle to see who's more awkward." He held back a snicker, but only barely. "And I could get a lot of money selling tickets to a show like that, you know." He now whispered conspiratorilly. "People like watching other people have it worse off than them."

Suddenly, Gilbert realized that Matthew seemed to be trying to get away, and promptly threw an arm around the man's shoulders, pulling him closer whether he liked it or not. "So if you ever find anyone you think can rival you in awkwardness, awkward-man, make sure I'm the first person you come to. Got it?" He smirked as he looked Matthew very confidently in the eyes.

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Williams Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:51 pm

Gilbert's idea of a good use of time was definitely a strange one, the blond couldn't help but think to himself. Wouldn't he rather do something a little more worthwhile...? Of course, Matthew also considered that the albino just might live to make him feel more awkward than he was sure he was. Thus, it was a good use of time after all... Of course the explanation that followed proved that, "You do have a good point... Barely good, really, but true just the same." He deflated slightly, people did love to watch the misfortune of others, and to talk about it.

It was actually quite sad when you thought about it, especially with the amount he managed to hear some days. No one really seemed to care about the feelings of the person involved, as long as it gave them an ample amount of amusement and something to talk about.

Just about free though, Matthew thought to himself as he edged along inconspicuously (Or so he thought) towards the path to be on his way and torture free for another afternoon. Well, the intentional sort. He couldn't blame people who just didn't see or hear him there. It was then that the guard trapped him with an arm, dragging him away from his goal. With another startled yelp, and a slightly longing look at the road, he realized he shouldn't have underestimated Gilbert's stubbornness and abilities to notice him.

At the question he struggled to refrain from rolling his eyes at the request, which wasn't hard at the rather taunting, over confident expression on the other man's face. "O-oh of course. I wouldn't dream of depriving you of such strange news. . ." That would give you so much childish joy, apparently. He thought afterward as he responded to the man as flatly as he could manage, eyes darting away slightly with embarrassment, unused to (and a little displeased by) such direct attention.

He shuffled slightly (awkwardly), wondering if he could just walk through Gilbert's arm and on his way down the road, if he concentrated. Really. Really. Hard.

Finally he spoke up again, hoping to make a good point without sounding too silly. "Uh, if you don't mind my asking, aren't you supposed to be watching the gate...?" And not me and all my obvious awkwardness.
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:35 pm

Honestly, Gilbert was having such a good time picking on Matthew that he didn't really care what was happening anywhere else. Not at the moment anyway. "Would you really?" he asked in mock-delight, trying to stop grinning quite so hard because it was starting to hurt his head. "I'd appreciate that. Sooo much." His voice was shaking a little from the effort of holding back a wave of snickers that threatened to burst free from him at any moment.

Fortunately, that moment didn't come. Because it was at that point that Matthew decided to bring Gilbert's attention to the fact that he was neglecting his duty. In a sudden fit of indecision, Gilbert glanced between the awkward young man and the gate a few times, tilting his head at both curiously.

"Hmmm... I'm trying to decide if I value my job enough to leave you alone and go back to it..." For another few long moments, he was quiet again, looking back and forth between Matthew and the gate once more. It seemed as if he actually could not decide which would be the better choice.

Finally, with the sigh of a defeated man, Gilbert removed his arm from around Matthew. "Alright, you win. But make sure you stop by on your way back. This is the most boring job in the world." With a smirk, he saluted Matthew and stepped back towards the gate. "I'll see you later, awkward-man."

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Williams Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:12 pm

Matthew felt like sinking into the ground after awhile, he could tell just how amused Gilbert was. He was quite sure he didn't like the fact that his 'awkwardness' was the source of the man's amusement. It was nice to make people happy, but he certainly preferred doing so when it wasn't at his own expense. Of course, at least it was only him and maybe the few odd passers by who bothered to look that would note the silly sight.

"Of course I would, I don't think I would have said so if I wasn't going to, eh?" He commented with a sidelong glance to Gilbert. Weather you appreciated it or not, I do what I say I will. For the most part... It would be rude not too... Unfortunately. The blond couldn't help wonder afterward though, why did he say he would tell Gilbert anything? He didn't like being teased any more than the next person, so it had to be something about the fact that Gilbert bothered to speak to him at all.

Not that it mattered, he doubted he would meet anyone as Awk-...! DAMN! He thought to himself, his expression turning to one of horror while Gilbert struggled with his laughter and inner turmoil over working or tormenting. I've met up with him one too many times to be thinking those thoughts so easily. 'Even if you know they are true, with or without him telling you so in the first place', a small thought crawled in through a crack in his mind.

He looked up with a startled blink a moment later as Gilbert voiced his reasons for indecision. "Ah...! Well-" He mumbled quietly, wondering what he could possibly say to at least get a few steps closer to freedom, when suddenly the arm holding him back was gone as Gilbert made his decision.

Once he got over his shock, he was quite pleased. So pleased that he didn't think before he spoke up again, "I will have to on my way home anyways, I'll be sure to-" The look on his face when he realized what he agreed to was particularly priceless.

Rather than beat himself up over it, however, he politely brought up a hand to wave and let Gilbert get back to work (lest he stick around and embarrass himself further), "Good bye-...!" he almost bit his tongue when he realized he was also answering to the silly nickname without thinking now. This is what rarely conversing casually with others did to one's mind and communication skills, he supposed. Sighing a little he lowered his hand, "Good bye, Gilbert." He finally said, retreating at a brisk, quick walk...
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down